Tuesday 3 May 2011

You Can Dukan: Day 2

Day 2, May 2nd 2011
Weigh-in:  Diane (D)-73 kg, (161 lbs); Erik (E)-100.5 kg, (221.5 lbs)

I forgot to mention I also had a can of sardines as a snack yesterday.  It was disgusting!  I still ate the whole thing because I was hungry but they won't be on my list again!

Jump Start Phase:
Protein (as much as you want but only in these categories):  lean beef, chicken, ham, (no pork shops), non-fat dairy products, fish & seafood, and the ever popular eggs.
Water: at least 6 cups per day.  This really isn't much so don't skip this!
Walking: 20 min per day. 
Oatbran: 1 1/2 tablespoons per day
Bonuses (take it easy): coffee, tea, spices, pickles, lemons, mustard, little bit salt.  Basically drinks with no sugar and less than 1 calorie per serving are ok, this mean diet soda is a yes!  :o)

  
Step 3:
I realized I would need to do some shopping (again) if this diet is going to work.  The book is very European with french recipes and ingredients.  I knew I'd find them in the UK stores here, but would I like them?
major ingredients:  dijon mustard, fromage frais (available in the US from: www.vermontcreamery.com/ ), vinegar, eggs, spices, non-fat yoghurt, non-fat cottage cheese, not fat (skimmed) milk.


Day 2 food:  Protien day
breakfast- 3 egg (2 yoke) omelette for Erik with a bit of skimmed milk, dash onion, some garlic and spices, and ham.  2 egg (2 yokes because I tried to separate and failed) version for myself.  (we don't have cholesterol problems but since we're probably going to be eating a ridiculous amount of eggs, I figured it couldn't hurt to reduce the yokes a bit.)
SHOPPING (below)
lunch-i brought back 2 roasted chickens and if they had had feathers on them, I probably still would've ripped off a peice and started eating!  I pulled off the skin, put a bit on some plates for the kids (with their corn and butter) and then just ripped off a chunk and started stuffing face, I was feeling very hungry!
snack-Oat bran pancakes
appetizer- shrimp cooked with 2 lemon slices.  I squeezed the lemon into the pan since i couldn't use butter and it tasted really good, even without any sauce on it.
dinner-Salmon baked in oven at 200c (350F) for 25 min.  I put some herbs on Eriks, some garlic and onion salt on the rest and it turned out ok.  I usually cook salmon with lemon pepper, wrap it in foil, and put a huge splotch of butter on top before closing the foil...yummm.  I couldn't find and lemon pepper here but I did add lemon juice (both from a lemon i bought and some bottled lemon juice.)
snacks-ham slices

Shopping-
Grocery shopping in England is like an adventure every time.  I don't know where to find things (the eggs for example are in a regular isle, not refrigerated) and even if I'm in the right place, the foods are not the same.  I diligently made my list (using the book as a guideline).
The big items were the Oatbran (found near the healthy cereals and pictured above) 
 Aspertame (sweetener.  I bought Splenda for Erik's coffee and Granulated sweetener for cooking)
Diet Coke (I'm not generally a coke person but when your sweets are limited to zero, you take what you can get!)
Spices and herbs, vanilla, low sodium soy sauce (Erik's been putting it on everything), cornflour, lemon juice, sugarfee GUM (really helps with the snack attack), bouillion cubes, vinegar, garlic (ground and pieces), vanilla pod (used a lot here in england recipes), nutmeg, and ginger.  (We're only in England for a few months so we did not have these basics with us).

I began cooking some of the recipes as I was getting hungry again after tearing the lunch chicken apart.  First I made the Oat bran pancakes and these were quite yummy.   I did not take pictures and plan to alter the recipe so I will do that the next time I need to make them (in a couple days).  I figured out how to separate eggs repetitively and was pretty proud of myself.

I made a chocolate pudding type thing (chocolate creme) and it was disgusting. I hoped it would taste better after setting in the fridge but it was still disgusting.
  I tried the non-fat cottage cheese I bought, also disgusting.  I threw the whole container away after the first bite.
I made the mayonaise in teh book and it just tastes like Dijon mustard to me.  I guess the french love it but I sure don't and if I"m going to be eating tuna and egg salad (with no bread) then I need to alter this one big time.
I made the dressing and again it just tasted like Dijon mustard to me.  Not something I'd look forward to rewarding myself with on future vegetable days.  Another alteration is in teh works!
I was getting a bit discouraged but then I fried up the shrimp with lemon and it was really yummy so that is a hit.
My mother has some 'skinny dip' (I'll get the real name later) that is a zero sugar, zero calorie (therefore allowed in this diet) ice treat that would be great for filling the night time snack time.  But I didn't see anything like that here and believe me, I looked through the entire icecream isle with hopeful and determined eyes!  Erik and I were still hungry and I was feeling fat when I went to bed, even after snacking on the ham.  :o(

Peeing. 
I'm not sure how much I've been drinking but I've always loved water and I guess am drinking more to try to fill the snack hunger.  Everytime I pee, which is often, I feel like I'm peeing for 5 minutes.  I've been telling myself that it is all the extra body junk juices that are now flowing out of me!  Look, there they goooooooo!

No comments:

Post a Comment